Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Kai Garden - On par with Hotel's Chinese Restaurants


Usually, for good food plus great service and wonderful ambience, I will recommend the Chinese restaurants under hotels' management because of their need to providing a flawless experience to the patrons. I notice that most of the other Chinese restaurants are very profit-driven, thus neglecting the standard of service. With that said, Kai Garden surprises me in every way. The service is excellent, in Chinese restaurant context, and the food is very good.

After trying the food in many Chinese restaurants, I have to admit that I get bored with typical Cantonese fare. Thus I will only be impressed if creative twists are incorporated into the food without compromising on the authenticity. And Kai Garden's repertoire of dishes and dim sum manages to do just that.


The mushroom bun is an absolute delight to tuck into due to the slightly crispy sweet pineapple bun top pairing with the creamy, very flavourful mushroom filling.


I am also bowled over by the glutinous rice because it is so moist in texture and packed with wholesome ingredients such as dried scallops to impart the taste of unami into the sticky rice.


Fried prawns with specialty sauce is a treat for those with acquired taste—I happen to be one of them. I can say that the prawns are fresh since no allergic reaction gotten from them. The spices-and-curry sauce drizzled on the soft yet pretty crispy fried batter gives that extra kick to the dish. But rest assured that it is not hot at all.


The unique fried skin, peppered with crispy breadcrumbs, of the scallop mango roll is what makes this dim sum worthy to check it out. However, while I like the creamy texture of filling, complementing the wrapping excellently, I could hardly find any seafood in there. It is more like mango roll than anything else. The lobster dumpling soup is quite a let-down as compared to other dishes. The dumpling arrived broken, with all the contents spilled into soup. And the bland taste did not help either.

The ambience is minimalist chic, with hints of grandeur. I like how the tables were decently spaced frim each other, unlike lots of Chinese restaurants.


Service is attentive, prompt and meticulous. The staffs even provide bag holders for our bags. Lots of restaurants don't provide these, so this extra touch of thoughtfulness is highly appreciated.

While this restaurant does not feature all varieties of tea, I am impressed with their Da Hong Pao—smooth and fragrant.

I can say Kai Garden is one of my favourite Chinese restaurants. So of course I will go back to enjoy authentic yet unique Chinese food, with good service and great ambience.

My Thoughts: Very Nice!

Note: But the experience there on CNY eve is far less than stellar. It is overcrowded, with dirty plates piled up on a platform right behind me. And we only start eating at 9pm for a 8pm slot! Not recommended for CNY reunion dinner.

Nearest car park: Marina Square's car park
Nearest MRT: Raffles City

6 Raffles Boulevard
#03-128A/128B, Marina Square
Singapore
Contact No: 6250 4826